What is ROOTS?
ROOTS stands for Restoring Our Origins Through Support. It is a First5 funded Home Visitation program that provides in-home education and support in San Joaquin county to Black/African American caregivers of children ages 0-5. The goal of ROOTS is to provide education and support to the parent/caregiver as the child’s first teacher, address the needs of the family and improve literacy through providing tools and education.
Who Qualifies for the ROOTS Program?
- Self-Identify as African American
- Parent/Caregiver of a Child Ages 0-5years old
- San Joaquin County Resident
- Low Income
How Can ROOTS Support Me?
- One on One Peer Parent Educator
- Education on Nutrition, Physical Activity, Financial Literacy & Early Reading/Literacy
- Monthly Parent Workshops (Every 3rd Friday at 10:30am to 11:30am)
- Connection with Community Resources
- WIC Program Liaison*
*for those who qualify
FAQ About ROOTS
- What is a Parent Educator?
- Parent Educators are trained individuals ready to assist and guide parents through the ups and downs of parenthood. Parent Educators receive extensive training prior to conducting home visits. Parent Educators specialize in providing personalized plans for each family they serve.
- How does Home Visitation work?
- All home visits are currently happening virtually. Virtual visits typically take place three times a month and occasional check-in phone calls may happen in between visits. Your Parent Educator will call you before your first visit to make sure you know how to connect virtually and to arrange delivery of materials for your virtual home visit.
- How long is the program?
- Depending on the education program you choose, you will have the opportunity to participate in the program for 6-12 months.
- How much does the program cost?
- This is a FREE program for all qualifying families thanks to the generous support of First 5 San Joaquin!
For enrollment or more information contact: Tamesha Valverde (209) 751-3908 or TValverde@deltahealthcare.org
Meet Your ROOTS Parent Educators
"As a Black mother and ROOTS Parent Educator, I am passionate about helping other Black families learn about health, wealth, and their overall wellbeing. We all need a helping hand from time to time and I would be proud to be a part of your village."
"As a parent educator I am honored to provide education and support that will allow our children to develop the tools they need to thrive."
"As a parent educator, I enjoy working with families. I am passionate about my extended knowledge and experience in Black family advocacy, trauma-informed care, and sibling adjustment."
"Being a parent educator gives me the opportunity to help fellow parents to do something that I wish I had more guidance in as a new parent."